Freitag, 6. Mai 2011

New Market, New Clothing

My aunt lives near Elephant Road - wicked name, right? Well, around Elephant Road you have couple of markets - some really old and winding. Remember when I wrote about pirated copies of CDs, DVDs and books? Nilkhet nearby is famous for its books - the least are original. Almost any book you need, you can find at Nilkhet. Nicely copied and bound, a copy of "The Godfather" shouldn't cost you more than 100 Taka.

And then there is Gausia, a market I consider for females, looking for Sharees, the traditional bangladeshi garment, dresses or bangles. So the last few times I've been to Elephant Road, I never went to Gausia.

I really liked to shop at New Market, a bazar with lots of of little shops, lots of bargaining and lots of "Torko". A couple of years back you could get clothes, that were meant for export from H&M, Puma, Zara or C&A. But they somehow ended at Hassan Uncles little corner stall and were up for sale.
New Market has changed recently but still is the best place to shop for bags and bagpacks. And since I needed a few things, I went to check out the stores. I was wandering on the fourth floor and all of a sudden ended up in a part of the complex, I had never seen before. And I was fascinated!

Printing, stitching and embrodery; lots of colorful cloths were upgraded by hand. That was impressive! Men and women were hand-printing patterns on cloth and adding designs with embrodery machines. If you want to have your bedspread customized, New Narket is your place to go to. How about your office suit taken to another level with green and red traditional patterns and some gold stitching?















Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen