Sonntag, 3. Juli 2011

White heads

The Sunday in Germany basically is the Friday here in Bangladesh - the "Day of Assembly".
At Jumah prayers thousands of men gather at each mosque in every part of town. Although most of them don't perform the regular five time prayer, I being one of them, Jummah prayers are packed.

The traditional clothing is the panjabi, a top for men that reaches until the knees, in different colors, patterns and embrodery. The head is mostly covered by a hat called "Topi", usually white.

Jumah here is at 1.30 pm, the sermon starts half hour earlier. When prayers are over, people flood the streets - white heads are everywhere. People have a chat with each other or go shop for fresh vegetables, fruits or other items that are being sold on little carts by flying hawkers. Although Friday is the main religious day off of the week here in Bangladesh, shops are open and still people attend prayers and plan their weekend around Jumah.

Since I have Saturdays off, too, my week starts on Sunday and goes until Thursday. As of now, I am neglectful when it comes to my regular prayers. I am a sinner - Allah forgive me.

Different mosques, different Jumahs, different Panjabis, different Topis:
































2 Kommentare: