Sonntag, 7. August 2011

Picard since 1928

Before coming to Bangladesh, I didn't know the brand Picard from Germany. Apparently, my interests were in other fields than leather bags, which cost up to 200 Euros. As Picard is a member of the chamber I intern at, I decided to go on a trip and visit them.

Taking along my fellow intern Matteo and our counterparts from the German Embassy, we went on to see, how those high quality (and high valued) bags were manufactured in a factory about an hour drive north of Dhaka.

As I was told, about 70% of all Picard items are manufactured in Savar. Walking around the premises, we were able to see how little wallets to large executive bags were made. Skilled workers sit in groups at workstations and are headed by a group leader. From coloring cutting edges to the quality control of ladies purses, we got an insight on what different stages a bag needs to go through until it is ready for shipment.
Besides the regular training the employees get, the company has a medical station and provides day care for babies and young children for free.

Too bad though, that there wasn’t a company sale going on, since all items were shipped to Germany for the next Christmas season...





A couple of hundred Euros?
 









exclusively made for the Japanese market
 





Can I have all of these, please?
 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen