Mittwoch, 3. August 2011

Wake up everybody, no more sleeping in bed

I have a new friend. I have never seen his face. I have never talked to him. But he talks to me everyday.

Today is the second day of Ramadan, considered the holy month in the islamic calendar. During this month, the Quran was revealed by Allah. Muslims fast during the day and eat and drink after the sun has set. To get through the day, people get up for Sehri, the last meal before dawn. In Bangladesh from about 4 am to 6.45 pm all Muslims, except eldery, children, pregnant women, the ill and invalid, are not supposed to eat and drink. Everyone should avoid sinning in genral and good deeds are rewarded by Allah a lot more than during the rest of the year.

But coming back to my new friend. Every morning before dawn he calls me at about 3 am. To be more precise, microphone announcements are being made all over the city to remind people to get up for Sehri.
My friend from my local mosque repeats "Get up! Eat Sehri! Fast! ... Everyone get up!" all over. He then recites the exact time when to stop eating and repeats everything again. But now comes the fun part: He sings it! No joke! My friend sings to me at 3 am in the morning which makes it hard for anyone to stay asleep.

Good service, which shall be rewarded, friend!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen